Travel Quiz- North American Ski Areas
Starting to hear about flurries and snow guns again! It's just a matter of time before many of us will be donning the ski clothes and heading to the slopes. And though you might be loving the warmer weather (and not wanting to think about winter), do yourselves a huge favor and start making ski plans now, especially if you’re traveling over the very busy school vacation weeks.
To get you thinking about where to go, this week’s quiz focuses on downhill ski resorts in North America. We’ll get to skiing in Europe and So. America as well as cross-country skiing, another time.
Test yourself weekly with our "How well do you know the world?" quiz. It'll keep you on your toes. There are no prizes, no honors, just the chance to find out how knowledgeable you are about the world of skiing.
For answers, you will find a link below.
1. The winter Olympics have been held in North America six times. Can you name where?
2. At which ski area will you find the terrifying Corbet’s Couloir run? (pictured right)
a. Schweitzer Mt. Resort, Idaho
b. Jackson Hole Mt. Resort, Wyoming
c. Snowbird Resort, Utah
d. Mad River Glen, Vermont
3. Which ski area has a lift called American Express?
a. Sun Valley Resort, Idaho
b. Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
c. Telluride Ski Resort, Colorado
d. Stratton Mountain, Vermont
4. Which resort has the longest ski run in North America?
a. Whistler Blackcomb, British Columbia
b. Alyeska Resort, Alaska
c. Killington Resort, Vermont
d. Alta Ski Area, Utah
5. Which northeastern state has a legendary run that draws skiers all the way into June?
b. New Hampshire
d. New York
6. Which ski resort was recently ranked the #1 ski area in North America by the readers of SKI Magazine for an unprecedented fourth year in a row?
a. Deer Valley Resort, Utah
b. Okemo Mt. Resort, Vermont
c. Banff/Lake Louise, Alberta
d. Vail, Colorado
7. Which of Aspen’s four mountains is considered the easiest?
b. Aspen Highlands
c. Aspen Mountain
8. In many Quebec ski areas, you’ll find this favorite snack.
a. French fries with maple syrup
b. French fries with cheese and gravy
c. French fries with chocolate covered pretzels
d. French fries with honey
9.Which North American ski resort was founded by Chet Huntley, co-anchor of The Huntley-Brinkley Report which aired back in the late 50s and 60s?
a. Crested Butte, Colorado
b. Saddleback Mountain, Maine
c. Park City Mt .Resort, Utah
d. Big Sky Resort, Montana
10.Which is the highest ski resort in California?
a. Heavenly Valley
b. Squaw Valley
c. Kirkwood Mt. Resort
d. Mammoth Mt.
FOR ANSWERS, CLICK HERE.
Ski Photo credits, from top down: First photo of Corbet's Couloir is by Jim Surrette. The skier is Jason Anthony./Following two photos were provided courtesy of the Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) and were taken by Dave Schmidt.